What is your greatest struggle with formal writing? I’m guessing one of the two: inventing ideas for your texts or making your text effortless to read.
Today, I’ll focus on the flow of ideas which makes the text easy to read.
Why should you even care?
Well, the so called “reception” or “reaction” to the text by the reader is among the official evaluation criteria for writing.
What does it mean? What is really evaluated?
- if the text is understandable and well organised as a whole
- does it read well and without effort?
- does the reader have to guess what the author had in mind?
- if paragraphs are well organised
- are all the ideas developed, explained, justified?
- are they logically connected?
- if appropriate register is used
- are the text and language formal?
- is appropriate format used, e.g for a memo, letter, email, report?